Monday, November 2, 2009

Korea Meets Mozambique = Incredibly entertaining cultural experience = SUCCESS!


When our Korean visitors first got off of the bus, I could tell the pairing of the two cultures was going to be interesting. At first, the visitors seemed a bit uneasy. I assume anyone would be if this was the first time in rural Africa. They were greeted by dancing and singing. The community was pouring their heart out as they danced to entertain their guests. After an hour of singing, dancing and drumming, even the visitors were dancing their hearts out.

This weekend was a huge success. We fed over 1,500 children, gave them each a gift (notebook, pencil, eraser, sharpener and balloon), handed out over 500 loaves of bread, watched dancing and singing for over 14 hours and had a great time in the process.


Koreans in Mozambique; no comedian, writer or animator could have come up with a more random scene. The fun of the process made me laugh at times, looking at my own culture, wishing I had someone else to empathize with on the random happenstances of it all. God's some funny dude at times. hhaha. I'm grateful to have had such a random experience, just to make sure that if I'm ever trapped in a broken elevator with a Korean and Mozambican, I can assure them we'll all be fine. hahhaha.