Wednesday, October 7, 2009

I'VE ARRIVED.


Playing with the Everite kids in the Brackenfell projects.


Nosipho and I pose on a Khayelitsha roadside.


Oh boy, I've arrived, alright.

Where do I begin? Well, to start: I'm home. Here, I'm home.

I finally feel whole again. All I've really wanted to do is get to work, and get to work I will. I have met incredible people throughout the week who have expressed great faith in the project and what we will do, step by step.

What I've done this past week:

- Moved a year's worth of my possessions (and Project Rx supplies) to Cape Town, then to Maputo

- Met with members of African Leadership board of directors to fully describe our intentions in Mozambique and received their blessing.

- Reconnected with the Khayelitsha African Leadership leadership staff of the Educare Children's Churches and Preschools.

- Secured a yearlong budget for Project Rx and my own living expenses.

- Moved into my (possibly temporary) Indian Ocean view apartment, equipped with a beautiful Korean missionary family, added missionary and me. And, it happens to be the tallest building in Maputo. :)

We received the letter below from the Director of the Ministry of Health of Mozambique. It essentially endorses what we're going to be attempting, therefore providing us a GREAT safety net for our work. AMAZING!



I have to kindly thank the Santa Fe Council on International Relations, especially Jeff Case and Carol Robertson-Lopez for all of their help making this connection.

Yebo!!


Possibly my favorite domestic encounters thus far: The South African version of the Snuggie--IT'S THE SNUGGET!


Our climb involved climbing heavy chains with no safety nets on Lion's Head. :)


Climbing up a foggy Lion's Head